Monday, March 14, 2011

Andrés Segovia: My Favorite Spanish Encores (1974)


RCA ARL1-0485

Recorded in 1974 when Segovia was 80 years old, this LP contains many compositions that Segovia had recorded before. His playing is still very good. From the LP: "The short selections on this record are among those with which I choose to reward the audience when ... they ask for encores"

This was a thrift store find (99¢). It is in very good condition. The original recording was excellent. It is not on CD.

Tarrega: Capricho Arabe

Torroba: Nocturno (Dedicated to Segovia)

3 comments:

  1. awesome record. I have this on cassette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this on cassette, and it's the best compilation of Segovia's Spanish renditions out there. I'll pick it up on CD if I happen across it (perhaps in a thrift store).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "His playing is still very good." Understatement of the millenium. This is the most beautiful album I know. I remember it from my youth. It's the only album I've ever known that I have to listen to from beginning to end in one listening. To stop it part way thru would be sacrilege. Somewhere in the middle, I feel myself transported to another dimension. I realize that he is playing this music for himself, not for anyone else. The way he savors each note, the pauses. He was 80 years old when he played this? I had no idea. What pure genius. What inspiration

    ReplyDelete